ALASKA! Vancouver, Day 1

Alright, I confess, for those of you following yes, this is a back post BUT, at the ship’s usury rate of 0.75 per minute I took really good notes. I have all sort of things to tell you scrawled in boo-hand (which is much shorter and more cryptic than short hand) so I will start my de-scripting backposting story fun. First, day 1!

Mr. Paul was our early morning airport transportation service (for which we are eternally grateful) and picked us up at 6ish IN THE MORNING! Oh the pain. We got to the airport, through security and had two hours to vamp before the flight. Isn’t that how it always goes? Block out the time for all those international airport post 9-11 security fiascos and BAMN! In and out in about a half hour. Incidentally, our big luggage clocked in at 30 pounds which is 20 pounds under the “you must pay a fine limit”. We waited, we flew, we arrived, we bussed, we spent a zillion years jumping hoops and finally, at 1pm (or…err…lemmie do the conversion here 4pm!) we got on the ship. Hooray!

Our balcony state room was the BOMB! I was pleasantly surprised at how big it was. Mind you, it was no good hotel room, seeings as you had to decide if you wanted to either go in or out of the room, the closet or the bathroom because the hallway was only one door way width wide but it did house a nice couch and table, two night stands (about a foot square or so) and what I’m calling a “Sea King” sized bed. It was 2 twins roped together, which would normally be a king sized bed but damned if those weren’t the skinniest twins I have ever seen. And I’ve slept on a college twin too. Plus, the balcony! It was tres sweet. We watched them haul up luggage by the crate full.

They loaded, and loaded, and loaded and…I thought we were going to be in Vancouver for the next three days there was so much luggage. We watched the entertainment for quite a while, especially the mad fork lift drivers and the chair guy.

It’s this guys job to make sure the crate on the crane doesn�t twist about and potentially spill the luggage (although they did have nets down for just that sort of problem). All that watching and flying tuckered us out so we took a nap! Sweet, sweet sleep. You know, the boat was rumbly and rocked but none of that posed a problem for either TheMan or I. He wasn’t dubbed Beach God of Sleep for his good looks.

We were introduced to the ship’s Naturalist MEEchelle, whom we developed a complete and utter loathing for by the end of the cruise, when she piped up on the ship’s intercom that the bit of log flotsam that went by earlier was actually a baby harbor seal pup! Thanks for the timely heads up there, now that it’s 5 minutes floated by. The worse part was that the ship’s intercom can be heard everywhere so there was no getting away from: BEE-BING “For those of you on the scenic watch, a baby harbor seal was just seen off the left or port side.”

We explored the boat after napping and let me say that I do not think that there is a time where you can’t be eating on this ship. I took a cruise when I was 10 or so and I remembered that there was a meal at 6, 8, 10, 12, 4, 6, 8 and 12 so I came with the foreknowledge that there was food a plenty on a cruise. However, it seems in those intervening years that the wait between stuffing yourself was unpopular so this ship offers a 24 hour pizzeria for those inbetween times. Oi!

What time is it? This plagued me the entire trip. The ship’s clock would read six, my body would say nine but it looked like two in the afternoon outside. Freaky. Even after TheMan and I adapted to the Alaskan time zone, the whole looking like it was way earlier than it was thing kept up. Between that and the phase orcas it was one weird experience.

Our luggage had to walk itself up to our room, or something, (since it didn’t appear until well after 7pm) so we went down to eat in the dining room with our travel clothes on. Normally the dining room is “elegant casual” (which seemed to mean jeans and a good T-shirt to some people) when it is not a formal night, but they knew that getting luggage to all 2000 passengers before dinner was an impossibility so they waived the dress code the first night. Oh the food! Oh the silverware. Oh the lots of silverware. What does one do with 10 bits of tableware? Four forks, three spoons and three knives is about seven bits too many and I know about the whole eating from the outside in for the different courses but some of the silver they put on top of the plate (and it wasn’t the butter knife which we discovered loitering on its butter plate). Too much.

After dinner, our luggage arrived and I celebrated by running over my toe with the big bag. Ow. We got unpacked and crashed.

Leaving Vancouver on our way north!

Last Year at the booniverse: Oh, the other phrase that came out of the show was “Do NOT eat the ninjas.” Sound advice for any occasion.

One Response to “ALASKA! Vancouver, Day 1”

  1. Matt Says:

    Yeah, those twin beds were skinnier than Mary-Kate and Ashley…